The History of Dexheim
The history of Dexheim begins long before its documental mention. Findings in the area of
Dexheim give information about the live of the Germanic tribes which lived here.
These findings can be seen in the Roman-Germanic Museum in Mainz. The Romans took the
loam from Dexheim as material in order to burn the bricks for the construction of their forts.
The first documental mention is found in a gift certification of 774, in which from Karl the
Great gives the monastery of Lorsch a large manor of Dexheim. The second mention is found
in the act of King Arnulf of Kärnten, who gives the church of Dexheim to the monastery of
Dexheim must have been a distinguished village, because it was a Free Empire village and
only paid taxes to the emporer, its crest was a white cross with the red empire apple. The
common court location bonded Dexheim with the bordering villages of Nierstein and
Schwabsburg. In 1376 it moved to the district office in Oppenheim and remained there until
the end of the electorate palatinate state.
The village changed owners several times until then. Out of the shortage of money – this
already existed in earlier times - the emporer had pawned Dexheim in 1315 to the archbishop
of Mainz and retrieved it in 1353.
The thirty year war was terrible for Dexheim. A document of 1647, one year before the peace
of Westphalia, gives us an impression of that. Almost all houses were destroyed. Only the
castle of the Gentlemen of Dienheim as well as some houses nearby were habitable.
The importance of Dexheim underline the names of nobility, who had their possession here.
Names as follow are found:
--> Electorate Court Chamberlains
--> Monastery Oppenheim
--> Monastery Maria Kron Oppenheim
--> Cathedral Monastery Mainz
--> Gentlemen of Gemmingen
--> Gentlemen of Dienheim
--> Gentlemen of Frankenstein
--> Gentlemen of Schmittburg
--> Gentlemen of Geißpisheim
Remains of the mentioned church of the 9th century presumably built the lower part of the
tower of the protestant parish church.
The first documental mention of this church originated in the 14th century. From this time
also date gothic paintings and a Mandorla, which were uncovered during renovating work
in the tower.
In 1816 Dexheim belonged to the Great Duchy of Hessia. It belonged to the district of
Mainz and later in 1851 to the district of Oppenheim. It has a lot of common history with
Welcome in Dexheim, powered by …
the nearby located communities of Nierstein, Schwabsburg and Oppenheim. Together
with tem it is also in the common community of Nierstein-Oppenheim.